Day 1 Post Op, Hospital and Home

At 7am I had just fed Everett and an assistant of Dr. Benson came in to see if we were ready to be released to go home. I said, yes definitely! And she left to submit the paperwork. Everett’s new nurse for the morning shift came in and checked Everett’s vitals and gave him medicine (this was 8:20am) and asked if I needed anything and then she left.

I called Allan and said I had no idea when we’d actually be released but since it’s an hour drive he should head over. There are a lot of other details but I’m sure this is extremely boring so I’ll stop and say, Allan got there and we got released and we stopped at Walgreen’s for Everett’s medicine and then we went home! Whew.

This was as the sun was coming up:  photo 124eresized_zps05caa9af.jpg photo 126eresized_zps6320426a.jpg

There was a three hour time span where Everett was awake off and on and we just hung out together. I stayed fairly glued to the bedside to talk to him and rub his head. I held him a bit just to hold him, not because he was cranky. And he would drift off to sleep and then wake up to stare at me.  photo 136eresized_zps29a28fb9.jpg photo 139eresized_zpsdfe0d5cb.jpg photo 141eresized_zps2436e5d0.jpg

Oh yeah, at one point the nurse told me I should order breakfast so I did. It was like 9:30am I think. (I ended up reading literally only two pages. haha) photo 147eresized_zps3c34f1e9.jpg

He’d been super groggy and out of it all night, not focusing on anything really and definitely not responding to anything I did, that morning at 10:20am I did something and he cracked a smile! I felt like falling over it shocked me so much. I had assumed he’d be in a bad mood all day by the way he was acting and then after smiling he started cooing a bit happily, too!!  photo 151eresized_zps1226b528.jpg

These pictures are from when we’d been released and they’d taken out his IV and told me I could get everything ready to go. It was so so so so SO awesome holding him without that stupid IV and cords/wires everywhere!  photo 154eeresized_zpsc720a35e.jpg photo 156eresozed_zps599dcc34.jpg photo 157eresized_zps5cc148e5.jpg

So all night long he’d kicked his legs like crazy. He kept rubbing his feet together in a not-happy way. Once they took his IV out he wrapped his feet together and kept them together for a long, long time. He seemed extremely happy about having bare feet!  photo 160eresized_zps8e7d12fe.jpg photo 161eresized_zps7bc0d5f8.jpg photo 171eresized_zps91c80fd0.jpg photo 181eresized_zps066a40f2.jpg photo 184eresized_zps85c107c6.jpg

When we got home I tried out this new mini swing I’d bought him. He loves this thing!  photo 191eresized_zpsa4dafe16.jpg

Then I nursed him again and it was time for a nap!  photo 194eresized_zps6a1a16dc.jpg photo 198eresized_zps96de06b5.jpg photo 200eresized_zpsd7e17d98.jpg

I wanted the kids to be quiet so he could fall asleep (I swear our walls are paper thin) so I put on a move of animated Beatrix Potter stories. It’s the quietest movie we own. haha  photo 204eresized_zps18fd0319.jpg

Allan went back to Walgreen’s and picked up Everett’s prescription.  photo blog01_zps07e940d4.jpg

I made Allan some pot roast and he got to work. He has a HUGE thing going on at work HUGEHUGE thing, like the most important of the whole year, so he was feeling super duper stressed on missing two days of work. He worked every second at home he could.  photo blog02_zpsb1bf5bfa.jpg photo 213eresized_zps18a87671.jpg

My kids are so freaking loud, maybe like most kids? I don’t know, maybe more… they seem extra loud to me. So I took them to East Plum Creek Trail to leave Allan with a quiet house to get some work done.
Problem is it started to rain just as we were pulling out of the driveway! After being sunny for the last several days or week! haha

No real problem though! I keep an umbrella in my car! It was just sprinkling and on any normal day that type of weather would be the BEST weather for our little family of rain lovers but I didn’t want Everett’s casts wet so I kept him under the umbrella.  photo 228eresized_zpsa365a838.jpg photo 232eresized_zps10d78ead.jpg

He started falling over at one point (not used to his heavy casts) so I tried laying him down. He liked baby talking to the umbrella for a few minutes.  photo 242eresized_zpsae90c169.jpg

But quickly tired of being able to hear fun and exciting things going on around him but not see them well. I sat him up again so he could watch all the cars driving by on the nearby road.  photo 265eresized_zps2853b137.jpg photo 285eresized_zpsb3456aa6.jpg photo 302eresized_zps7fb25b91.jpg

Two hours later we were back at home and I breastfed Everett and put him to bed for another nap. Then I made the kids some tortillas with nutella for a quick pre-dinner snack.  photo 327eresized_zpscd8218f5.jpg photo 336eresized_zps476fc699.jpg photo 339eresized_zps9f79773c.jpg photo 340e2resized_zpsd4ebbb88.jpg photo 346eresized_zpsdeb1c6d3.jpg

After everyone was fed and then put to bed I sat down to edit hospital pictures while Allan sat on the recliner nearby working on his laptop. I wanted to stay up with him just to keep him company but once midnight hit I could not keep my eyes open and begged him to go to bed with me. He did. And that was the end of our surgery day! šŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.