In the Kitchen on Sunday

I feel like the fog of the first trimester is finally lifting. The last two days have felt different than the last two months have.

This pregnancy has been my hardest so far. I don’t know if it’s because I’m older or because my kids have been bringing home a million viruses from school but, wow. I don’t want to do this ever again! haha

A few days ago, or a week ago? I was looking at my blog archives from 2010, when I was pregnant with Ember. I was desperate to read about how the first trimester of that pregnancy impacted me and if it all magically went away at 12 weeks along. Sure enough, I was a miserable, miserable woman for two months and then I blogged about how I was 13 weeks along and feeling so much better.

And here I am 3 months along, and I feel ok. I don’t feel magically 100% better but I think in a couple more weeks I will! For now, I will absolutely accept, with open arms, any small improvement!

For two months my house has been a total wreck and I’ve barely managed to keep my family fed. I have met the bare minimum mommy requirements and that’s it.
It feels good to feel positive about the coming weeks. It feels good to be hopeful and excited and think about things other than laying on the couch or how in the world I can manage a nap.

During lunch yesterday I took some pictures of Ember. She ate after the other kids and was the only one who really got dressed for the day. I even did her hair for the first time in a long time! (Not counting the quick fountain top ponytails I give her to get her bangs out of her face)  photo 016eresized_zps2d89bdca.jpg photo 017eresizesd_zps428326b2.jpg photo 020eresized_zps8de6e184.jpg

I made a cheesy broccoli chicken casserole that all four of my kids LOVED. It’s so rare that all four kids like a food and all three of the older kids asked me to make it more often! And it’s gluten free so it’s a huge win.  photo 046eresized_zpsfd4f0a3b.jpg photo 050eresized_zps452e1be1.jpg photo 055eresized_zps501dcc1e.jpg

Our entire family’s sleep schedule is so messed up from all the illnesses we had. We have kids going to bed late, waking up late, tired all day, napping late in the day. It’s a huge disaster. I’m trying to fix it all now that I’m healthy enough to be able to! But one thing still majorly messed up is Ember’s late, late naps. She falls asleep around 2 or 3pm every day and will sleep long past 6 if I let her! Basically she’d sleep until like 10pm and then be up for hours. haha
I do wake her up every day at 5:45pm but that’s only because my iPod alarm goes off to give her the antibiotics she’s on! I need to fix her sleep schedule. She used to nap at 11am or 12pm to 2pm every day and that was perfect!  photo 068eresized_zps8068603d.jpg

I had my camera out snapping that picture to document my failure at keeping her up through the evening and decided to snap some pictures in my kitchen of what I was doing. I typed directly on the pictures so that I didn’t have to sit here and talk and talk and bore myself 😉  photo 072resized_zpsf74b27ab.jpg photo 073resized_zpsb6781552.jpg photo 075resized_zpsb1e08cce.jpg photo 076resized_zps615b1422.jpg photo 077resized_zpsc6a4a963.jpg photo 078resized_zpse7825316.jpg photo 079resized_zpsf49b8d31.jpg photo 112resized_zps1367aa62.jpg

Ember got her medicine. Sunday was the 8th day she’d taken her medicine. Only two more days to go! I’m glad I captured her taking medicine on “film” because it’s such a huge deal for her!
Up until last week she hated taking liquid medicine and would thrash around like crazy and I would have to hold her down (and often need Allan’s help) and force her to drink medicine she needed. Luckily during her entire life she’s only had to take liquid medicine 2 or 3 times!

At the urgent care they insisted she take liquid tylenol to get her fever down (I give her the chewable tabs at home!) and she screamed bloody murder about it. It was also in a little cup and not a syringe so it was super difficult for me holding her on my lap on an exam table to not spill everywhere. Finally she drank it all (crying the whole time) and I told her how good she was and that she did it all and was all done.

When the doctor came in with the prescription for 10 days (20 doses) of amoxicillon I was thinking, how in the world am I going to go through 20 doses of liquid medicine without traumatizing this girl!?
But, the first dose, she started thrashing about and I was thinking, this sucks. But then! Halfway through the syringe she stopped thrashing around and willingly sucked down the last half!! I was sitting there in shock, like- what the heck just happened?!
And wouldn’t you know, she has willingly drank every single dose of her antibiotics this week!!
My guess is she likes the taste of the super sweet flavored antibiotics but (like her mother) can’t stand the taste of tylenol. (or advil or baby motrin or anything else)  photo 082resized_zpsdb21996e.jpg photo 083resized_zps47c3b412.jpg

Because she was so groggy when she woke up and was asking for mommy milky and I was up to my elbows in cooking (and Allan was napping away his illness) I gave her a half a cookie instead! haha  photo 100eresized_zps2208a5de.jpg

I gave the other kids cookies (Payson got chocolate chips, which luckily he thinks are the best thing ever!) after their dinner.  photo 105eresized_zpsc51474e6.jpg photo 107eresized_zps327f0904.jpg photo 110eresized_zps9ca26ce5.jpg

At bedtime I regretted giving the kids those cookies earlier in the evening. They were such horrible, rotten little butts during bedtime that night. So disrespectful!
But not Ember, she spent the rest of the evening telling me all the things she loved about me and patting my hair and back and hugging me and being the sweetest little thing on earth.
Though she did get into the cooling cookies on the counter when I was washing dishes!  photo 126eresized_zps593eae9f.jpg photo 132eresized_zps9b883f83.jpg

Payson had run into the family room and turned on Super Mario while I washed dishes.  photo 142eresized_zps3c322a9a.jpg

The boring finish is this poorly taken photo of the finished enchiladas topped with yumminess. It tasted pretty awesome.  photo 145eresized_zpsb479b50f.jpg

9 thoughts on “In the Kitchen on Sunday

  • Oh my gosh, you have had a rough few days! And….add a pregnancy on top of it all, don't know how you did it! Glad to hear things are starting to get back to normal at your house!

  • Glad you're coming out of the first trimester fog. Hopefully you get that burst of energy soon! Fingers crossed for no more sickness in your house as well.

    Can you not just wake Ember up from her nap an hour after she falls asleep? We used to do that with our little guy who didn't nap often but when he did I always woke him up after an hour. Otherwise it was the night time nightmare of him refusing to go to sleep. Within a few months he no longer needed any naps. He was 2 when he stopped daily naps and 2-1/2 by the time he stopped with the occasional naps.

  • Glad your feeling better. I know morning sickness or should I say all day sickness is no fun.

    Would you mind sharing your cheesy broccoli chicken casserole recipe? I'm always trying to find some new recipes and now with our sons (20 months old) allergy to cows milk and a slight gluten allergy we are trying to find some new recipes that we don't have to make just for him but rather can enjoy as a whole family.

  • Mel, this recipe does have dairy in it. Payson outgrew his dairy allergy a few months ago which has enabled us to eat so many more things as a family!

    I don't have an exact recipe but from what I remember it was about
    3 cups of cooked rice,
    2 cups of cooked chicken, (I melted 3 tablespoons of butter into the hot chicken and rice mixture at this point)
    a can of cream of mushroom soup,
    a can of cream of chicken soup,
    some random seasonings I sprinkled in (salt, pepper, chicken seasoning),
    a small package of frozen broccoli,
    2 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (one cup mixed into everything, one and a half sprinkled on top)

    Sometimes I make it without soup and use milk and sour cream instead.

    I wish I had a way to make it dairy free and still taste as yummy but I don't 🙁
    Gluten and dairy allergies together is SO difficult! I'm sorry your son has to suffer and that you have to be so creative in cooking. I hope your son outgrows the milk allergy some day.

  • Thanks so much for the recipe. So far we have been able to get by with drinking unsweetened almond milk for him. I've limited his cheese which seems to be working at the moment. So I can easily make this and just not put the extra cheese on top on one end of the casserole dish. How long do you bake it since your putting in frozen broccoli?

  • I should say most of the time I boil the broccoli for a few minutes while I cook the rice and then only bake it for 25-30 minutes, uncovered the whole time. I just forgot to cook the broccoli this time. haha

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.